On Wednesday 23 April 2008, Hassan Khater wrote:
> Hello
> I am using lyx to produce my PhD thesis. Sorry if I am not expert enough to
> deal with every thing. I have three problems with my lyx master file:
>
> 1) I have to set the document class to book as the best choice available.
> 2) When I apply roman numbers to table of contents, it starts with a blank
> but numbered page. 3) The title is centered on the cover page and I am
> allowed only to insert author with title and date.  You know other things
> should appear on the title page. Like address  and a two line description
> of the thesis.  at the moemnt I have to write these as title or author but
> with different fonts and line break.
>

> Hope to receive answers or suggestions
> Hassan Khater
> Materials Science

Hassan,

If you want a fully configurable layout, I'd suggest memoir class -- but
expect to read the LaTeX memoir documentation (about 250 pages for the manual
and 100 pages for the addendum) several time before you figure out how to get
the most out of it.

Another option is to create the title page as a separate document (possibly
using a different application, such as Scribus) and combine it with the rest
of your thesis using pdfpages.

--
Les