On Tuesday 20 May 2008, G. Milde wrote:
> The counters topnumber and bottomnumber determine how many floats are
> allowed on one page and the commands \topfraction, \bottomfraction and
> \textfraction determine how much space they might take.
>
> Change with e.g. \setcounter{topnumber}{4}
> or \renewcommand{textfraction}{0.1} in the LaTeX preamble.

Günter,

That is some very valuable advice.  I am currently working on a document of
about 200 pages with over 200 figures, and getting the reasonable float
placement has been quite an interesting experience.  I spent more time than I
really wanted to reading the details of how LaTeX decides where to put a
float -- the documentation of how these LaTeX settings really affect the
output is dense, complex and abstruse.  I only arrived at a satisfactory
solution by repeated trial and error, and I'm still not sure why the settings
I'm using give the results they do.

--
Les