> There are lots of issues here, but they have nothing to do with LyX.
> Export always invokes external tools, except for export to LaTeX, plain
> text, or DocBook (which doesn't always work, anyway). I myself have no
> problem exporting to RTF, ODT, or almost anything else, but that's
> probably because I did a lot of the work to make these things work, and
> so, obviously, they work on my system. To a large extent, what's needed
> here is to tweak the command lines options to whatever external program
> is being used. It may well be, for example, that latex2rtf is expecting
> Latin 1 encoding, and you're trying to feed it UTF-8; or some such
> thing; and there are lots of issues involving graphics formats. So play
> around, and read the man pages for the various external tools.

Richard is way ahead of me on this, but for what it's worth I haven't had
much luck with ODT (oolatex) or RTF (latex2rtf) export for reasonably
complex documents, despite much work on latex2rtf particularly. I made the
Wiki page on latex2rtf and then promptly had it fail on me for all the
documents I really wanted to work with it. I just tried oolatex without any
tweaking and it failed on a pretty simple Koma-script report (the only
complexity being a fair number of figures and a landscaped table on its own
page). So, I guess it'd be great if we could start a spot on the wiki with
document examples that work with these exporters! All the options are tough
to figure out for newbies to the export tools, and especially newbies to
LyX.

-----
David Hewitt
Research Fishery Biologist