Boffinboy wrote:
rgheck wrote:
Boffinboy wrote:
I am using the captions in a minibox as they contain a lot of text and
are
often wider than the figure itself. This doesn't look nice if LyX is left
handle it by default. By putting it in a minibox it's possible to set the
width of the caption to correspond to that of the figure - a workaround I
found through searching the messages here.

Try searching ctan.org for caption-related packages. This sounds like a common-enough need that it would be very unsurprising if it hadn't been addressed in some more general way.

Thanks for the advice, the caption package I was using to set other
parameters of the captions allows a function to set the width so now I don't
have to deal with miniboxes. It also has a function to set the gap between
figures and the caption so the other problem is solved too!

As a general rule: If what you want to do seems like something people will have wanted to do before, search ctan.org.

rh