Hi all,

We discussed this awhile ago, but now I have a solution.

I like my layout files to be in the directory with the book, not
in /home/slitt/.lyx/layouts. Therefore I symlink:

ln -s /data/books/mybook/mybook.layout /home/slitt/.lyx/layouts/mybook.layout

And then I reconfigure.

W R O N G ! ! !

Doing the preceding, on certain LyX versions, creates situations where you can
assign the mybook document class to the mybook book, but that assignment
disappears, leading to the loss of formatting. Someone on this list theorized
that the problem is that modern LyXes try to read layout files from the
current directory (I couldn't get that to happen, but...). So, I did this:

ln -s /data/books/mybook/mybook_local.layout
/home/slitt/.lyx/layouts/mybook.layout

Where the second line of the layout file is this:

#  \DeclareLaTeXClass[book]{mybook}

By giving the local file a different name, the problem seems to have been
ameliorated.

Hope this helps.

SteveT

Steve Litt