On  9.06.08, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 09 Jun 2008, G. Milde wrote:
> > On  9.06.08, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> >
> > > I tried to use Lyx for ancient Greek but the circumflex (tilde) keeps
> > > appearing before the letter instead of above it.

This is normal for capital greek letters. Small letters should have all of
the accents on top, however.

> > It works in LyX, if you use the correct unicode char (from the extended
> > Greek table) out of the box, but not so good with combining chars.
> >
> > > Also, is there any way to get the characters to appear in Greek
> > > on-screen (i.e. before converting the text to dvi)?
> > Yes, see attached file.

> Sorry, I don't follow this. What or where are these uniccode characters?

Unicode <http://www.unicode.org/> is a standardised encoding for
electronic documents that comprises "all" known glyphs (letters, number
and symbols) of all alphabets of the world.

Since version 1.5, LyX uses the unicode encoding internally.

Each glyph is assigned a unique number, a standardised name and a
reference image.

E.g. from Block 7 "Greek and Coptic"

Character 'Ϋ' (939, 0x3AB)
03AB    GREEK CAPITAL LETTER UPSILON WITH DIALYTIKA
        : 03A5 0308

Character 'ύ' (973, 0x3CD)
03CD    GREEK SMALL LETTER UPSILON WITH TONOS
        : 03C5 0301

And from Block 53 "Greek Extended"

Character 'ἂ' (7938, 0x1F02)
1F02    GREEK SMALL LETTER ALPHA WITH PSILI AND VARIA
        : 1F00 0300

Character 'Ἄ' (7948, 0x1F0C)
1F0C    GREEK CAPITAL LETTER ALPHA WITH PSILI AND OXIA
        : 1F08 0301

Character 'ῶ' (8182, 0x1FF6)
1FF6    GREEK SMALL LETTER OMEGA WITH PERISPOMENI
        : 03C9 0342

> And I could see your Greek characters but I don't see how to generate
> them myself.

I copied them from the `gucharmap` character listing application. Many
editors (but not LyX) have a "special chars" feature where you can select
any character from a table.

As this becomes tedious with longer texts, alternative input methods
might be a properly set-up combine-key feature on X-Windows, a greek
keymap for LyX (see Help>Customization) or use of the
polutonikogreek option to babel (which will loose the "see the greek
letter in the LyX GUI" feature and is currently not supported by LyX).

Günter