> On 12 Jun 2008, Pavel Sanda wrote:
> >
> > i would like to summarize the my understanding of the problems i
> > encountered,
> > please comment on:
> >
> > 1. Screen painting.
> > after installing unicode fonts for X displaying ancient greek letters works
> > in lyx
> > without problems.
> >

> [snip]
>
> Not here. I've set "language" to Greek and I've tried every available
> encoding, including utf8x, but the characters on-screen never change at
> all. And I've installed all the relevant font packages I can find. I'm
> using TexLive.

no, no, this is misunderstanding. screen painting has _nothing_ to do with
with latex or utf8x encoding etc. it has something to do the way you have
set fonts for your X-windows.

i don't know how things are done on debian, but in gentoo only installing
dejavu fonts was enough (the reconfiguration of X is part of instalation
procedure.) Do you have these fonts installed?
whats the output of: ls -l /usr/share/fonts/dejavu/

pavel