Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 25. Juni 2008 13:26 schrieb Rich Shepard:
>>
>>    I can try.
>>
>> > I have quite a number of xfig produced files which are all exported as
>> > .eps files and inserted in the LyX document as floats.

The external template way is supposed to be easier, since it does the
exporting automatically, so you can't get outdated figures because you
forgot to export.

>> > Do I have to use for all my fig files the xfig -specialtext or is there
>> > a global command to do that for all files in one run?

The special flag is a property of each text box that you have to set
individually. AFAIK the -specialtext switch only sets that as default for
new text. If you have a lot of files that you need to convert it would
probably easy to write a small script that does this.

> What about the size of the text in your fig -> eps file in respect to the
> size of the text of the body (that is the document text, I guess?). Do you
> adjust it just by comparing it? Thats what I did so far. But what about
> the pstex and the pstex_t which you get after running xfig -specialtext? I
> thought this is the way to divide the image part of the fig and the text
> part so that the latter can be adjusted (by the program) to the font size
> of my text (and also
> to include e.g. greek letters as latex etc). If I check my  pstex file, it
> still shows the image and the text, as it was in the normal .fig file. The
> pstex_t file reads like:

You should not need to worry about pstex_t and friends if you use the
external template. LyX is supposed to create all needed files
automatically, whether you use pdflatex or the traditional DVI. The only
decision you have to make is whether you want to use the special flag or
not: If you use it, the text will be typeset by LaTeX, and you can use
math, own commands that are defined in ERT or the preamble etc. The size
and font would also be adjusted through LaTeX commands. If you do not use
the special flag the text will appear as is in the final document, and you
set the font, size etc. in xfig.

>  I just did not get it yet, some step might be missing (perhaps something
>  in
> the preamble

You do not need to set anything in the preamble unless you use the xfig
special text flag and inserted nonstandard commands in a textbox of the
xfig file yourself.

>> > And how exactly do I get it into the document? Is it the pstex or the
>> > pstex_t file or both? Or is this done internally by LyX? With Enter
>> > (Einfuegen) File (Datei) external Material I get the fig file but the
>> > text of the pdf output is not scaled correctly (nor the fonts). Somehow
>> > I haven't caught the way of entering it.

If the special flag was set you encountered a bug, either in xfig, fig2dev
or in LyX. Otherwise just set the flag, and the text should be typeset by
LaTeX.

Georg