Etienne M. Gagnon wrote:
Thanks a lot for the reply! You know... What would be neat is if we could edit the text in the "View LaTeX Source" window. Then it would be so simple to fix.

This requested periodically and discussed on the list. It would be very difficult for a variety of reasons.

That said, a specific fix (such as allowing the user to suppress a linefeed that LyX inserts) can often be accomplished. What's needed is for someone to post this to the feature poll (http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/FeaturePoll), for others to indicate their support, and then for a developer to find time to do it. (I'm pretty sure the developers have a rather lengthy to-do list right now.)

I guess that Lyx will remain a less than ideal front-end to Latex. One can use it to write the first draft of a big document, but fine tuning will have to be done on the generated LaTeX code, which is a one-way thing; there's no good going-back to LyX, once the LaTeX is modified. Yes, I tested: if you import a list (LaTeX->LyX), the converter inserts a blank line before the list and removes the blank line after the list.

All front-ends to LaTeX are IMHO "less than ideal". I happen to like LyX very much. As far as fine tuning goes, that's essentially unavoidable at times, although at least in my experience it is the exception rather than the rule. I used LyX to prepare an article for submission to a journal not long ago. The journal has very finicky (and obscure) formatting requirements for a few things, and they were difficult to do in LyX, even using ERT. To me, that is not the fault of LyX, it's the fault of the journal. (It's a good journal, though, so I did it; but I swore quite a bit.)

/Paul