On 30.06.08, MonAmiPierrot wrote:

> As you wrote, seems to work perfectly, Michel, but it installed Lyx version
> 1.4.3 while I used to work on my thesis file with a (Windows) Lyx 1.5.5.

> If I try to open this file with the newly installed Lyx on the eeePC
> Xandros, it tells me the script lyx2lyx can't convert it (it tell me "it was
> created with a earlier version of Lyx, but it can't convert it". True, it
> was created with a earlier version - but then edited with updated 1.5.5
> version: this is the problem, I guess!

If updating fails (cannot help here), you can still:

a) export your file from LyX 1.5.5 as LyX 1.4 (File>Export>LyX14)
   and use this on the eee. (You will have to do this with every
   PC -> eee transfer, as 1.5.5 will automatically convert any earlier
   format to its own.

b) just update the LyX2LyX converter:

   Copy the files under LYXDIR/lyx2lyx/ from the 1.5.5 installation
   to LYXDIR/lyx2lyx on the eee.  (Make a backup copy of the original
   content of the target directory first!)

   (LYXDIR is, where LyX stores its files, here on Debian it's
   /usr/share/lyx.)

   Now the "old" lyx will know about newer file versions.

Hope this helps

Günter