From: Maria Gouskova <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: float caption label for tables
To: "mailing lyx" <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>

Dear LyX users,

I need to change the caption label that LaTeX automatically supplies
for tables in floats. By default, the label is "Table". I want it to
read, say, "Tab." instead. I put

\renewcommand{\tablename}{Tab.}

into the preamble, but nothing happens--LyX compiles as before.
\renewcommand works in plain LaTeX--is there some sort of a conflict
in LyX? I wouldn't know where to start looking, because my grasp of
LaTeX is pretty basic.

LyX 1.5.5
Mac OS 10.5.3
MacTeX-2007