The most tweakable (is this correct word in English?) style is
Koma-Script, so you may probably prefer it instead of fighting with
mwcls classes. Koma-Script is well documented, which not exactly means
is easy for beginners.

Marcin WoliƄski who is the author of mwcls used old documents about
Polish typography, when he was creating these classes (mwcls set). And
in real, output looks very similarly to that what I remember from old
books from times of the primary school.

M.

--
Manveru