On Thursday 30 October 2008, Keith Roberts wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Oct 2008, Paul A. Rubin wrote:
> > To: lyx-users@lists.lyx.org
> > From: Paul A. Rubin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Subject: Re: How to install LaTeX packages
> >
> > Keith Roberts wrote:
> >> How do I go about installing new/required LaTeX packages from CTAN?
> >>
> >> Do I have to install them into LyX, or into my actuall LaTeX
> >> installation?
> >
> > What operating system, and what LaTeX distribution?
> >
> > /Paul
>
> Hi Paul. I'm on Fedora 8, and it uses tetex-latex 3.0-44.9.fc8
>
> Keith

Keith,

I'd suggest you upgrade to TexLive -- tetex is no longer maintained.  You may
well find the packages you want are already included.  See:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureTexLive

However, the basic installation for most CTAN packages is pretty simple:

1. Download the package -- usually the "You can get this entire directory
bundled as ????.zip" near the top of the page listing the contents.

2. Unzip the downloaded file.

3. Follow the installation instructions in the README file.

4. Run texhash

5. From within LyX, do: Tools->Reconfigure. Restart LyX.

See section 5.1 in the LyX Help file Customization.

The installation instructions typically are something like this (from the
calendar package):

INSTALLATION
The simplest way to install the tools in the package is to make a
subdirectory in the search path of your TeX, FTP all of the source files to
that directory, and run "latex allcal.ins".  You should then be able to run
the demonstration files.

--
Les