I can confirm this. Please enter it into bugzilla: http://bugzilla.lyx.org/.

> 2. Another problem is related to the toolbars. If I customize which ones
> show and their position my choices do not seem to consistently stick across
> sessions. I'm not sure what I have to do to get some preferred set and
> position of toolbars saved as a default for new files.

<snip>

In general, sessions handling needs work, but please do enter this
into bugzilla as well. (Your description was fine.)

> 3. I have "load open files from last session" enabled in my preferences.
> However, the contrast in the behavior of the following two operations is
> surely not intended:
>
> -start a new session with no files open
> -open file foo.lyx
> -close this file using CMD-W or selecting close from File menu
> -close LyX using CMD-Q
> -open LyX again: you will NOT have foo.lyx loaded, as expected

This is intended behavior: foo.lyx was not open when you quit LyX, so
it should not be reopened when you relaunch it.

> alternatively...
> -start a new session with no files open
> -open file foo.lyx
> -this time: close this file clicking on the upper left button of the frame
> (the one with the "x" mark)
> -close LyX using CMD-Q
> -open LyX again: you WILL have foo.lyx loaded

This is *not* intended. Again, please enter this into bugzilla.

Thanks for reporting these.

Bennett