Unknown wrote:
Every time I go in for a book, to be printed via offset, my printer
has a problem. He takes the PDF file and attempts to do crazy things
like importing it into Windows/Corel Draw, etc.

Hmm...

He says the photos won't print because they don't have a screen.

Can you (or he) be more precise what you mean with "a screen" (at least I have never heard of it, and a quick Goolge search did not bring anything up). Is it some printers' jargon, or a bad translation?

Anyhow, you could also try to give him a postscript file (created via latex+dvips), or create the pdf from postscript with Acrobat's Distiller (with the Prepress Profile), or with Ghostscript (also there you have Zillions of options, for example to not compress the images).

Or, if you have only a few figures, do not include the figures in the PDF (just leave white space), and let the printer set in the pictures in his application.

HTH,
Konrad

  • Query on p... Frederick Noronha [फ़रेदरिक नोरोनया]
    • Re: Q... Konrad Hofbauer