Peleg Michaeli wrote:
On Sat, 2008-11-22 at 17:34 +0000, Peleg Michaeli wrote:
When you say "so I have configured my keyboard to have all of the
greek letters,
including √, ∞, ∝, ≤≥ ⊆⊇ ⊂⊃ ←→ ⇐⇒ − ≠ ≡ ∀ ∃ and many more" --- did
you do
anything to actually configure the keyboard, or just paste stickers
on or
something? I mean, when you press a key, will LyX be getting a "g"
or some
unicode character?
Very simple: I have reconfigured GNOME, so now when I press "Alt Gr +
s", for example, I get σ. If I press the same key combination with
Caps-Lock on, or with Shift key pressed as well, I get Σ. Pressing the
key that is just near the "z" key on its left produces ∀, and doing
that
with Shift produces ∃, and many more options.

I haven't put any stickers. I know the keys (at least most of them) by
heart − it's very simple. I do it like that since even though I know
TeX
quite good, it is much shorter to write emails to friends like this:
"Let x∈P and y∈Q. Since P and Q are normal, xyx^-1y^-1∈P∩Q={e}... ⇒
something..." or compare "...hence P\subseteq Q" to "...hence P⊆Q".

So, in LyX, when I press "Alt Gr + a" I get α, but I don't want to get
− I want to get "\alpha", and I believed that LyX might have a
solution
to this need (and, apparently, it has − but only in 1.6). Vim, for
example, knows really well how to deal with that.

It is important to say also that the configuration is very basic, and
it
works in ANY software on my computer, including LyX. It's not a "hack"
in the risky aspect of it.
Depending on your answers to these questions, I *may* be able to
help a little...

Hi Dov -
Can you think of any solution to this without switching to LyX 1.6 ?

Thanks,
Peleg.

No. However, perhaps you can try installing 1.6 in a virtualized environment (Qemu, VirtualBox are relatively easy to set up, I think), so that it won't affect your production system until you've got it configured correctly...