Hello there,

I am new to this list.  I used plain LaTeX in older days but in the last
few years I deteriorated into using the PowerPoint.  Recently I
co-authored a presentation with a guy who uses LeTeX all the time.  We did
it using Beamer and it looked beautiful.  For that we used the TexXnic
Center which works fine except it still takes a lot of raw LaTeX typing to
get things right.

In any case, I have started to experiment with LyX.  I have version
1.6.0.1 installed on WinXP Pro machine together with the latest MiKTeX
distribution and whatever else is needed.  I have been going through the
LyX tutorial and decided to do my variations to the example-raw.lyx file.
I tried some tables and they seemed to work just fine.  Then I tried the
"Insert Graphics" button.  This gives me a problem.  I typed a name of my
*.png test file there and tied to preview the PDF but got an error message
about not being able to determine the bounding box.  I put my own width
and height into the dialog box but got the same error message.

I started to investigate the matter further by exporting pdflatex code
from the document.  I noticed that I get the following code for the
graphics part

\begin{center}
\includegraphics[width=4in,height=4in]{test.png}
\par\end{center}

which looks OK to me (except I do not understand the \par bit).  Then I
noticed that in the preamble of the document I have a line

\usepackage[dvips]{graphicx}

When I remove the [dvips] than I can run pdflatex on the *.tex file any
everything is OK.

After looking a little further I found a workaround (sort of).  I can use
the "Insert Float Graphics" button and then use the TeX box to enter the
includegraphics command.  Since using the "Insert Float Graphics" seems to
generate the \begin{graphics} ... \end{graphics} environment it does not
add anything to the preamble.  Then I can add the \usepackage{graphicx}
into the preamble myself in the Document > Settings > Preamble.

My question is this - is there a more straightforward way of doing this? I
like the "Insert Graphics" way.  Is there any way to stop LyX from
sticking the [dvips] option into the preamble?

Thanks for your time,

Andy

Andy Jaworski
518-1-01