On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 10:50:48AM +0000, Paul Smith wrote:
> >> Ideally, of course, autocompletion should work already with the first
> >> keystroke in a document and produce ready-to-submit papers.
> >>
> >> Of course, that still leaves the author at the mercy of the (mostly)
> >> human reviewers...
> >
> > Ideally, of course, we would like to have less ironic and more
> > constructive LyX developers...
>
> The idea of using machine learning algorithms to the problem of
> ranking text autocomplete suggestions is not, in fact, new; it has
> been applied to determine the suggestions of urls for Firefox/Mozilla:
>
> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/ml/autocomplete/

The "bugzilla example" they cite as bad case of conventional
autocompletion can probably be handled well by "conventional
autocompletion plus wildcards". To get to the sixth completion
there one would e.g. type

 b, u, g, *, 9

I am not sure about the general merits of machine learning in such
an environtment, though, especially if the input comes from several
users. We all know about the possible outcomes when asking Aunt Google
for LaTeX ;-)

Andre'