Hi,

Paul A. Rubin <ru...@...> writes:
> The key is that LaTeX must know where to find the .sty file.  So
>
> 1.  Create the style file somewhere in the LaTeX directory structure
> (typically something like
> <localtexmf>/tex/latex/myNewClass/myclassname.sty).  This has the side
> benefit of protecting the file from deletion is you upgrade either LyX
> or your TeX distro.

Generally speaking you are right. The problem is that the package is developed
very closely with the document (actually I'm implementing what I need as I go).
By default LaTeX searches first the local directory, then the local texmf dir
and last the different site wide ones.

I'm looking for a way to keep the LyX file and the package together, if
possible.

> Note that if this really is a document class, rather than a package,
> you'll need to make the extension .cls, you'll need to kludge together a
> LyX layout file for it, and you'll need to reconfigure LyX to find the
> layout (*after* you've done step 2).  But I'm guessing you meant "style"
>   rather than "class" above.

Actually, I haven't decided yet whether to write only a package to override the
document styles and tweak them as required, or to make it a complete new
document class, hence my confusion with relating to it.

Thanks,

Guy