Hi

>I am about to author and prepare a book on photography, which is bound
>to have many... well, photos :).
>I will hopefully be using Lyx on an Intel-based Mac and i am wondering
>about two features (that is, if they are available or not):

I published a book with more than 400 pictures this fall, and lyx worked
like a treat for me. If you haven't used lyx before you should add some
time to learn using it.

>a) Will i be able to have spell checking in Greek with something like
>cocoAspell ?

I'm not on a mac, but lyx supports aspell (along ispell and hspell).
I guess I would download lyx and test it.

>b) Is it possible that, whenever i insert an image, have it
>automatically scaled to fit on the with of the "page"?

Yes. With the new graphics groups you can easy asign size such as
% of paperwith.

c) Is it possible that, whenever i insert an image have Lyx create an
auto-caption containing the filename of the inserted image?

I would suggest no, eventhough it is possible with a LaTeX macro.
However, I would probably take more time learning LaTeX than copy and
past the name to the caption every time.

HTH

Ingar