On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 10:14 AM, John White <j...@lawquest.com> wrote:

> Bob Lounsbury wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 9:38 AM, John White <j...@lawquest.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I'm using lyx 1.6.1 (article) on a linux slackware system (vector 5.9).
>>> I cannot figure out how to put the table of contents in the document
>>> before
>>> printing it.  TOC works fine for getting around the document (as does
>>> navigate).  But when I try to insert it into the document for final
>>> printing, I do not get the table of contents.  All I get is the word
>>> "Contents."  No other data.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions are appreciated.
>>>
>>> John
>>>

>> Have you inserted sections or subsections or subsubsections into your
>> document?
>
> Yes, I have inserted Section*, Subsection*, and Subsubsection*.
>>
>> These are generally all that are included in the toc, unless
>> you've changed the default behavior in Document->Settings->Numbering &
>> TOC.
>>

> Document->Settings->-Numbering & TOC shows "Yes" for "Appears in TOC."  I
> have changed nothing
>
> John

Starred stuff does not appear in the TOC. A LaTeX default. To add
starred stuff to the toc you would have to insert in ERT just after
the section in the text:

\addcontentsline{toc}{section}{Section name}
\addcontentsline{toc}{subsection}{Subsection name}
\addcontentsline{toc}{subsubsection}{Subsubsection name}

/Bob