A B wrote:
Hello.
I have a file mystuff.inc that I had included in
.lyx/layouts/article.layout

Input mystuff.inc

but now I have an empty directory .lyx/layouts so I wonder how I can
get lyx to take notice to my own layouts. I would prefer not to copy
everything to my own .lyx directory, but if that is what it takes...

You can put your own layouts where you wish. The obvious place, though, is .lyx/layouts/, since the main LyX directory can be overwritten on updates, etc.

Note that in 1.6.x you can turn your mystuff.inc into a module and include it dynamically, instead of having to modify *.layout files.

rh