----- Original Message ----- From: "Joe(theWordy)Philbrook" <jtw...@ttlc.net>
To: <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 10:21 AM
Subject: Re: some questions on page numbering (pages BEFORE chapter 1)

It would appear that on Jan 30, Dave Hewitt did say:

Definitely use the \frontmatter and \mainmatter separations.
Also, to get the numbering style changes you want, put
this in ERT at the start of each of those sections:

\pagenumbering{roman}

\pagenumbering{arabic}

Thanks Dave... Now I've almost got numbering where I want it...

I've learned to use \frontmatter & \mainmatter to good effect. And
confirmed a suspicion that there should also be such a thing as a
\backmatter...

I've learned ( with a little stumbling ) how to strong arm page
numbering (when/if necessary) with:
\setcounter{page}{0}
rather than:
\setcounter{pagenumber}{0}
to avoid output errors about undefined counters...

And now, thanks to you, I know how to get them numbered with roman
numerals when I want.

All I need to figure out now is: how to suppress the printing of any
page number on pages I don't want numbered???

\thispagestyle{empty}

Well that and how to get Lyx to position the "by authorname" & copyright
information at the bottom of an otherwise blank page instead of at the
top of one???
(there has to be a better way than inserting a bunch of hard returns.
I mean that method would have to be re-tweaked every time the output
page size changed.)

Plus how to suppress the date of output generation, from the title
page???

\date{}

(and/or how to get it to use an arbitrary {hard coded?} date, or perhaps
even the date the .lyx file was last changed,instead...)

isodate package.

This last item matters to me because If I print 10 copies on Friday.
Then find out I need 5 more on Monday morning I don't want the date to
be different on the last five...

--

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 3819 (20090202) __________

http://www.eset.com