Hello there:
I am somewhat new to LaTeX (downloaded through MacTeX) and almost
totally nex to LyX.  I am currently using 1.5.7 (operating on Mac OS
10.3.9).  I have gone through the user's guides and tutorials, so I'm
able to make LyX pretty much do what I want in English.
However, I am also trying to type in Hebrew, and I don't know how to
set up LyX for that.  Of course I have found several things onliine,
but all of them are either outdated (for example require teTeX);
windows specific; or unclear (most often a combination of the three).
Can anyone either explain to me in an idiot-proof fashion how to get
LyX to work in Hebrew or else point me towards a good current online
how-to?
I am intersted in writing whole Hebrew documents, documents with some
English words, or English documents with some Hebrew words.  Currently
I can do the last one using XeTeX and ERT (\font\h="Lucida Grande" at
Xpt; {\h HEBREW TEXT}) but there are some problems even with that.
The most major of these is that the words show up in reverse order.
For example the sentence:
"These words are in Hebrew"
is displayed as
"Hebrew in are words These"
(but they compile correctly in pdf form)
Also,there are a few other things that don't work (Hebrew words won't
show up in the TOC) and it is in general just a pain in the neck.
So what am I supposed to do?  Are there some settings I'm supposed to
click (changing the language settings in "preferences" or in "document
settings" hasn't helped at all)?  Do I need to download something?
Thanks so much!
T. E. Yale