I would like to create PDF documents that can be read easily with a screen reader.

When I run the automated accessibility check in Acrobat on my Lyx created pdf, it comes up with the following problems:

* This document is not tagged; the reading order of the contents may be incorrect.
    * 44 images(s) with no alternate text.
    * All of the text in this document lacks a language specification.
* 587 words(s) that contain characters with no reliable mapping to Unicode.

One option is to fix the problems manually in Acrobat but this is a lot of work.

I have found the following experimental patch for pdftex but have not tried it yet:
http://sarovar.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=945&group_id=106&atid=495

Are there any other options or workarounds. Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Luke