On Tuesday 17 February 2009 04:44:08 am Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 15 Feb 2009, L Duperval wrote:
> > >
> > > I'll second that.  The Memoir documentation is beyond just
> > > documentation: it is a superb monograph on page layout, book design,
> > > and typography.
> > >
> > > Les
> >
> > Thanks to all. I started RTFM'ing (duh!) and in the first pages of
> > chapter 5 I realized that I could use the [ebook] option to get what I
> > want. Everything is working now, as I expected.
> >
> > Now, to sit down and actually write...

> I'm about to start setting up my fourth book in Lyx (1.6.1). My previous
> three were done using the Book class in 1.5.x. Can someone kindly tell
> me what would be the advantages of using Memoir (or point me to
> somewhere that discusses this)?
>
> Anthony

Hi L Duperval,

I'm going to give you a viewpoint that's uniquely mine, and you can take from
it what you will.

In my opinion, the main thing isn't WHICH document class you use for writing a
book, it's CONSISTENTLY starting with the SAME document class so that you can
learn it inside and out. I used Memoir once as a starting point, and if I
remember correctly, I used Book as the starting point all the rest of my
books.

Now that I'm starting to get good at the Book document class, I'm using that
exclusively.

As Anthony says, Memoir has a lot of bells and whistles that make several
things easier. As I remember, custom headers were easier with Memoir. There
are also a couple things about Memoir which make it incompatible with some
packages so you have to work around those incompatibilities if you need those
features. Once again, I think as long as you're really good with one Document
Class, you can get the layout you want in a book.

As Les says, the Memoir documentation is second to none. It's a must-read for
anyone writing a book, regardless of Document Class. Most of it is simply
good typography and layout. Before reading the Memoir documentation, I used
to format my books with .75 inch side margins and a 1 inch gutter margin. The
reader had to re-find each line. Yech! The Memoir docs told me exactly how
wide your lines should be, and why.

In my opinion, and a lot of peoples' mileage varies, one should never choose a
document class to accommodate the desired frontmatter. In my opinion
frontmatter should be fingerpainted with custom environments and ERT, making
little or no use of the document class's features. The fingerpainting takes
about 6 hours, which is often a lot less than it takes to wrestle your
document class into submission, and always less time than it takes to learn a
new document class. The fingerpainting comes out EXACTLY how you wnat it,
with no "settle fors". In my opinion, the part of the book that needs
consistency throughout is the mainmatter, so the mainmatter should be the
only section considered when choosing a document class.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US