Klaus F. Abel schrieb:

Attached is a screenshot showing two problems:

1. The letter "ĵ", a special letter of the Esperanto language, is represented as a black box in pdf and dvi output.

This is beacuse the font you are using doesn't have this glyph. When you use the Latin Modern Fonts, it works. In the UserGuide you find in sec. 6.15.3 you find under "From ISO8859--2 through 4:" a j with a circumflex and can see that it appears correctly in the PDF output. (You must have the Latin Modern Fonts installed. They are provided as separate Debian/Ubuntu package and also as TeXLive package.)

If I produce the very same document in OpenOffice with the very same fonts, everything is fine. That is, I'm just guessing they are the same because they're the same names. Does Lyx use own font files or aren't they part of the system?

LyX doesn't have fonts. All fonts you can select in the document settings are the ones installed in your LaTeX system. And Palatino is not Palatino - the Palatino font available for LaTeX might miss some glyphs.

2. The line formatting isn't exactly as expected, some simply seem to escape justification. Is it because I don't have en Esperanto dictionary installed and it doesn't know how to properly hyphenate?

The dictionary is only needed to be able to spell-check your document. But there is an aspell Esperanto dictionary available:
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/aspell/dict/0index.html

For hypehnation, you must install Esperanto hyphenation patterns. The LaTeX distribution TeXLive has a package that installas this:
http://ctan.binkerton.com/systems/texlive/install/texmf/tpm/
hyphen-esperanto.tpm

regards Uwe