Kenward Vaughan wrote:
Sorry, I don't know whether this is LyX or LaTeX.  When I print out
documents generated by LyX, I see weird marks on the paper not seen in
the screen copy. They are horizontal, very small, and seem to mark the
heights of (some of) the characters on the page. Those capitals which
have it are most apparent, but some other lowercase letters have this
line as well.

Now all the lowercase t's now have cute forward "hat visors" on them
(for lack of a better way to describe it).
I've narrowed the problem down to the use of the default font.  If I
choose Roman or Sans Serif for the font family it goes away.

???  What's messed up?  Who should I complain to?  This is Debian Sid
(behaving appropriately at the moment... ;-)

Thanks for any help!

Can you post a small example (LyX file plus DVI or PDF showing the spurious lines)?

/Paul