Doug Laidlaw wrote:
I am writing a book.

1. Can I have endnotes for each chapter? That seems to have been recommended. IMO, endnotes make the book more readable. In my case, that is important. For a true reference work, I would certainly opt for footnotes, because they are closer to the referring text.

There's probably some LaTeX package that does this, and maybe it can even be done with endnote. I don't know for sure, but you should look at the documentation for the package.

2. When I try to use endnotes, the "endnote" is just a number, the total of the endnotes in existence. The notes themselves are not listed.

You need to put "\theendnotes" in ERT where you want them to appear.

rh