Cy. T. wrote:
After I clicked "Reconfigure" under "Tools", I can no longer use the
PDF preview function.

The error message is simply

"Auto-view file C:/(filename) failed".

Any hint?

You didn't specify an OS, but it appears to be Windows. I don't know what clobbered "auto" viewing mode when you reconfigured, but you can try the following fix:

1. Take a look in the LyX bin directory and make sure that pdfview.exe, pdfopen.exe and pdfclose.exe are present. (LyX should have installed them.)

2. Go to Tools > Preferences... > File Handling > File formats, select each of the PDF variants you use, change the Viewer: field to 'pdfview' (without the quotes), and save the changes.

/Paul