Dear Lyxers,

I am encountering a strange problem with bibtex when operated automatically
from within LyX which does not exist when the LyX files are exported to latex
and then compiled from the command line.

Here is the setup:

1. I have a master document with several .lyx child documents (chapters in a
book)

2. The bibliography is set up to use BibLatex according to the lyx wiki
instructions

3. The preamble of the master document calls the \bibliography commands with 4
.bib files

4. The preambles of the child documents are empty.

5. I am using LyX 1.6.2 (Thanks!) on a Kubuntu machine running the latest KDE
version

and here is what happens:

when I compile the file (pdflatex) the bib refs are not found and left as
bibkeys in the final output.

launching lyx from console and looking at the output reveals that the problem
is that bibtex cannot find the bib files:

"I could  not find open database file....etc. etc."

""I'm skipping whatever remains of this command"

So bibtex has problems on the first of the four 4 files, skips the remaining
three, and proceeds. Unsurprisingly, the references do not come out as they
should.

However, If I export to the whole manuscript to latex (plain) and compile from
the command line everything works fine, all the bib references are found,
etcetera.

I checked and rechecked the filenames, and they are all right.

Here is what I tried:

1. I tried switching the order of the four database files in the \bibliography
command---no difference ( I didn't try all permutations, though..)

2. I tried creating soft links to the actual files in the local directory and
substituting just file names for absolute paths.  No difference.

Now I have run out of options. Since I can get the properly compiled pdf file
from the command line the problem is not too annoying, but still, I would like
to understand what is going on.

Help appreciated.

Cheers,

S.

Stefano Franchi
Department of Philosophy          Ph:  (979) 862-2211
Texas A&M University              Fax: (979) 845-0458
305B Bolton Hall                  fran...@philosophy.tamu.edu
College Station, TX 77843-4237