I recently installed 1.6.2 in Windows XP and Mac OSX.4, and have been receiving the same error when inserting EPS format graphics:
"Error converting to loadable format"

As far as I can tell this only applies to EPS, and PNG/JPG work fine.

On both systems, for 1.5.6, the EPS preview worked well.

There is no problem viewing the document in DVI or PDF, and the output looks great.

I looked into this somewhat, and think it's likely an issue with the versions of ghostscript and imagemagick included in the alt-installer--or their lack thereof. Neither program was installed with the alt-installer, and simply copying the two directories from an older install did not fix the problem. I do have both programs installed elsewhere on my system, though this wasn't a problem with the 1.5.6. installer. This happens with the small installer. I tried running the complete installer, even uninstalling my existing MikTeX 2.7 installation. But that installer fails after installing MikTeX for some reason.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a ready workaround? This is really mostly an inconvenience, but having the figures shown in the lyx document makes writing about them much easier.

Anthony Kendall