Rich Shepard wrote:

  More to the point, with a forum you have to go to it and pull then
information to your machine; with a mail list, the information is pushed to
your machine and all you need do is handle it as you wish.

Not necessarily. I'm subscribed to a few forums via RSS. Posts are pushed to my mail client (Thunderbird). If I want to reply, though, I have to go the forum in a web browser (typically by clicking a link in the RSS message) and, if it doesn't remember me, log in. So posting is not as easy as with a mailing list (I get most of my mailing lists as news feeds), but (repeating myself) I can usually skim the content of an entire thread on one web page in a forum, which is much easier than with news feeds. (I handle this list, for example, essentially by skipping all lengthy threads unless the subject line is *really* compelling.)

I wonder if anyone has software that can integrate a forum with an existing mail list (or news feed)?

/Paul