On Thursday 09 April 2009, Rich Shepard wrote:
>    I've not used the memoir(book) class before and thought that I'd give it
> a try for workshop attendee material. I'm having problems with page
> numbering:
>
>    -- The title page is numbered '1' but should be blank.
>    -- I set the default \pagestyle{empty} in the preamble but that did not
>       remove the title page number.
>    -- Frontmatter pagination is OK.
>    -- Mainmatter pagination starts on the Part 1 page with number '3'
> despite the command \setcounter{page}{1} in front of it. Chapter 1 than
>       begins on page 5.
>
>    I've attached the first 195 lines from the .lyx file.
>
>    I also see commands I don't recognize from previous versions, such as
> the doubled 'newline' within the title and author environments.
>
>    Your suggestions on how to properly set up this class so I correct these
> pagination errors will be much appreciated.

Rich,
I haven't that much experience with memois, but here is what I did differently
to get this kind of thing working properly:

\begin{titlingpage}
before the start of the title.

\end{titlingpage}
after the material on the back of the title page.

then
\frontmatter

Contents
List of figures
\mainmatter

then the first chapter, etc.

I don't remember where I found out how to do this.

--
Les