Russell Davie wrote:
On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 08:01:54 -0400
rgheck <rgh...@bobjweil.com> wrote:

Russell Davie wrote:
Hi All
I just installed Lyx 1.6.1 and tested out the dvi viewer on intro.lyx.
The default dvi viewer, okular, came up and then crashed.

A Fatal Error Occurred
The application Okular (okular) crashed and caused the signal 11
(SIGSEGV).

Lyx stayed open.

OS: Ubuntu 8.10
default dvi viewer: okular

this happens with kdvi as well.

okular and kdvi works with other dvi I have, but not the dvi lyx makes.

also when changing the dvi viewer preference in Tools -> Preferences -> file formats -> DVI from xdg-open to xdiv, xdvi opens but presents a blank page.
If the window size of xdvi is re-sized to a fraction smaller, the text appears.

any help appreciated

This is very strange. Try exporting DVI and then opening it. If that works, then something is happening with the call from inside LyX.

rh

exporting dvi fails with error dialog box:

Copying
/tmp/lyx_tmpdir.J18098/lyx_tmpbuf0/0_usr_share_lyx_doc_clipart_footnoteQt4.eps
to [doc/0_usr_share_lyx_doc_clipart_footnoteQt4.eps] failed.

OK, this looks like another issue. I think this fails because LyX is trying to export to a directory to which you do not have write privileges.

xdvi and evince both open the intro.dvi in /tmp/lyx_tmpdir.J18098/lyx_tmpbuf0,
but not kdvi or okular

I have found evince is well behaved and accepts the .dvi from lyx.

Can you send me a file that fails this way?

rh

cheers

Russell