Dan Fitch wrote:
1. The new hyperref stuff in 1.6 is very slick. Is there any way to
make a "cross reference" to a section or subsection, without adding a
label? So the user might say "As defined in s. 10.91" without having
to go to section 10.91 and adding a label?

Not at present, though this functionality has been much discussed. I.e., a kind of "auto-label" that exists for certain kinds of elements. Come to think of it, work just done by Vincent van Ravesteijn might well put this within reach. Vincent, the thought is this: Use the context menu in the TOC. I'm sure there are lots of issues, though, that I've not yet considered.

2. Is there a facility for arbitrary section numbering that integrates
with LyX? I have seen ERT solutions that allow forcing a numbering
change; is there any way to do that through the LyX UI as of v1.6?

No, but it might be possible to do this via modules. I'm not sure.

3. Non-line-breaking sections. You will notice that if a "child"
subsection follows a section, it does not cause a line break. See the
example statute at the top after the TOC: "5.01  Scope.  (1)
Construction..." the section .01 flows directly into its first
subsection (1).  Is it possible to set up a custom document class to
do this? I'm a TeX novice at this point, so I'm just asking for "yes,
that is possible" or "no, don't even try it."

Yes. And it's not terribly hard. One way is to use the titlesec package with some standard class. Another is to use the koma* classes, which provide for LOTS of customization. I think that's also true of memoir.

4. Line numbering. Is it possible with LaTeX to do line numbering on a
per-page, per-section-type basis? I can see how to turn it off and
back on, but look at the bill example -- the numbers need to start
over on each successive page. (Again, I have no idea why they do it
this way, but we have to figure out how to support it.)

http://www-d0.fnal.gov/Run2Physics/WWW/templates/lineno.html

There are some packages particularly for use with legal documents, I believe. You might check into those.

rh