I use lyx 1.6.2 on a slackware 12.0 system.

When I finish a brief (article class), lyx makes a beautiful table of contents. It also makes an index. To make the index, I use the index machine, highlighting the cases cited in the brief. Then I fool around to make the second index, which is of statutes cited and then usually a third index of "other authorities". It (the index) is supposed to then be printed on the Table of Cases page, following the Table of Contents. If I fool and fool with the index entries I can usually get it right. However, indexing is the last thing done to a brief, as cases and statutes etc are often changed. And the index prints out in two columns. There ought to be an easier way. Due to time considerations, I usually don't have time to fool with the index page enough. So I index everything using just the index machine and, right before the brief is filed, I print it to text, open with Open Office, and then manually move the index entries to the required place. This often requires that I add a page following the index just so the page references are accurate when I later insert the Open Office index. Though I much prefer doing the brief in lyx, in part as it is so easy to navigate and in part because I can't figure out how to turn off all the complicated "help" in Open Office, I don't like this last (indexing) step.

I would like to do the whole brief, including index, in lyx. Does anyone have some ideas on how a user not familiar with evil red text 1) I can get lyx to print the index to a single column (normal) page and b) how, other than going through a time consuming process of adding exclamation marks within the index and putting hard blanks at the beginning of some of them, I can fairly automatically and simply get three indexes, printed out one after the other, i.e. first the cases, then the statutes and finally the "other authorities"? I have seen other references to this situation but yet no good, easy answer.

Thanks for taking the time to read through this. It has been a problem for a long time.

John