I am still hunting for the BIG ERROR.
as a reminder, I can't get the pdf file of a large document.

I have gone in a texteditor through all the references in the bib file, and
corrected any non-iso-8859-1 character.

I have started to remove the offending references from the bibfile and collect
it in another one which is not in the bibfile list of the references. Lyx
still chokes on it, unless I stop lyx and restart it again. Now I even get in
one case the same error of a reference which is not in the bibfile and after
having restarted Lyx.

It looks like there is some kind of memory, and I found

lyxauto.Gw6002 in my
/tmp/lyx_tmpdir.TJ3322 directory

 I renamed it into lyxauto.lyx and ran it. It shows a part of the first
chapter of my document and trying to output the pdf it gives many

insets/InsetBibtex.cpp(420): Couldn't find dbook11042008 in
InsetBibtex::getBibFiles()!
insets/InsetBibtex.cpp(420): Couldn't find dbook11042008 in
InsetBibtex::getBibFiles()!
insets/InsetBibtex.cpp(420): Couldn't find dbook11042008 in
InsetBibtex::getBibFiles()!
insets/InsetBibtex.cpp(420): Couldn't find dbook11042008 in
InsetBibtex::getBibFiles()!.....

I renamed this file and ran again my document.

But I am still having difficulties (it chokes literally at all references in
the last sections of the last chapter I am trying (13 of 20 chapters).

#So my questions are:
#what is the function of
#lyxauto.Gw6002 in my
#/tmp/lyx_tmpdir.TJ3322 directory?

#Could there be some size limit for large documents with many references?

Sorry for bothering you, but lyx used to be reliable even for large documents.
Which reminds me to ask for the best way to run 1.5.6 or 7 parallel to 1.6.3.
I liked the new features of the 1.6.X, especially the easy way to find
references and notes in the text, but if it is not functioning properly its
useless for my document.

Wolfgang