I am running LyX in Ubuntu 9.04 and I'm working on a document that
contains many figures and tables. LyX has crashed multiple times when
working with these figures I'm inserting.

I'm inserting figures by doing a float, then insert graphic. I found
that when I try to adjust the output size and/or LyX display size at
the time of first importing the image, it tends to crash the program.
I do not have a problem if I insert the graphic, close the dialogue
box, then edit the image settings after. I'm inserting bmp images. I'm
using an article Document Class.