On 07/24/2009 01:19 PM, m.kocin...@mini.pw.edu.pl wrote:
It was rather surprise for me that installing LyX in Linux seems to be
much more complecated than in Windows. In fact, I have no experience in
Linux...

It's actually a whole lot simpler to install software in Linux than in Windows.

Why there is hard to find "install. exe" file for LyX at lyx.org?
Is it true that that words "Major Linux distributions take care of LyX
binaries themselves and you will find LyX in their repositories." mean
when I buy a new notebok with Linux installed then there will also LyX
there?

Possibly it will be installed by default, but if not, it will normally be very easy to install it. How fast it will be will depend upon the speed of your internet connection, but of course that's the same as with any software you download.

Linux distros generally maintain a "software repository" of some sort and provide some way of installing software from this repository (and, more generally, of managing your installed software). Different distros have different ways of doing this. But most provide both some sort of GUI interface that allows you to browse, search, etc, the available software, and then install it. The GUI is built on top of some lower level library, or on top of command line tools.

So, on Fedora, it can be as easy as typing this:
    yum install lyx
in a terminal window. That will install LyX and everything LyX needs to work properly. No manual downloads of installation files required. If you decide you want to remove lyx, you type:
    yum remove lyx
and it's gone.

By the way: No need to reboot when you do this kind of thing. Once it's installed, it's ready to go.

Even better: When a new version of LyX comes out (say, 1.6.4, in not very long), it will be added fairly quickly to the Fedora repositories and then will be updated, along with everything else, when the system is updated---which, of course, it is just as easy to do:
     yum update
Or you can use the gui, if you prefer.

And, of course, it's not just LyX that is so easy to install and update. It's everything.

I've talked about Fedora, because that's my distro. But Ubuntu, Debian, Suse, whatever, all have similar tools.

Score one for Linux....

Richard