Hi,
I use google mail to collect university mail and private mail.
Google has a 'label' option.
So all my LyX mail gets a lyx label, which makes it easy to manage.

I think it is the same idea as you're talking about, but I don't need the
server side as you mention...

Maybe this can help...

Best Regards,  erez

--