>> When I've written a math formula, whether it be inserted into the
main
>> text or as a numbered equation, the text size becomes huge with the
>> formula usually disappearing off the end of the screen.  If you then
>> reselect the formula, as if to edit it, it then shrinks back to
normal
>> size.  I am doing something obviously wrong?
>>
>Looks like a problem with instant preview - but I don't know
>how to fix that. Take a look at "Tools->Preferences->Screen Fonts",
>see if there are any strange sizes or zoom factors.

Or, look at Tools->Preferences->Graphics and set Instant Preview to Off.

Or, have a look at your preferences file in the LyX dir in your user
directory and look for some magic entry saying something about the size
of previews: '\\preview_scale_factor'. If it's there and it's not 0.9,
start wondering how it got there.

Vincent