On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 14:19:58 -0300
John Coppens <j...@jcoppens.com> wrote:

> > > I have a table with some math in it. The matrices were touching the
> > > borders,
> >
> > Have you already had a look at the EmbeddedObjects manual that you
> > find in LyX's Help menu? There you find nearly every possible trick
> > for tables.
>
> Thanks Uwe,
>
> I will do that later. I haven't looked for alternative methods yet, but
> I thought that if a standard LyX feature didn't work as advertised, it
> was important enough to check if it was my fault or not.

Uwe,

I've looked over the EmbeddedObjects manual, and, sure enough, the
problems are documented (I was already wondering why I didn't find a
reference to the problem).

Just as a suggestion, I'd modify the LyX table dialog (add a warning when
adding top space or inter-row space).

I tried to insert TeX \strut in the cell(s), and found it had no effect.

Then I tried with the preamble, using array, but the spacing inserted
seems to distribute very unevenly over the table. I tried with a large
value for height to see the effect, and I get lots of extra space in
between matrix lines, very little extra space above and below the matrix,
and this last space gradually lessens row by row.

I think I'd better leave off the borders completely.

Cheers,
John