On 08/27/2009 11:08 PM, KR Thorne wrote:
Hi rh,

Attached is a sample file done in the Windows version of LyX. I cannot open this file in LyX 1.6.2 installed on my Linux Mint 7 Gloria system -- returns the same error message as below. I've tried several files, all with the same result.

Please let me know what you find.

Well, if I save it to /tmp/, it opens up just fine, so that didn't tell us very much.

I think the issue is certainly the one pointed out by Paul and Manervu: The document is encrypted in some way, but LyX is not getting a decrypted version. The only way you can get that message is if the first non-comment line of the file isn't "\lyxformat ...", which it certainly would be.

Try copying the file to your home directory and opening it from there. If that does not work, open a terminal and run "cat myfile.lyx". If you don't see something like this:

#LyX 1.6.3 created this file. For more info see http://www.lyx.org/
\lyxformat 345
\begin_document
\begin_header

and in particular if you get jumbled garbage, then we've found the problem.

That said, the fact that I could open the file you sent me suggests that copying your LyX files to your home directory may be all you need to do.

Richard