On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 3:19 PM, Helge Hafting <helge.haft...@hist.no> wrote:

> Murray Eisenberg wrote:
>
>> I agree with the O.P. on this. This is something that, surely, is easily
>> fixed at the server end, so that each message going out from the server has,
>> say, "[LyX]" prepended to the subject.
>>

> But we don't want that, so please don't wreck it on the server.
> If you want to see "[LyX]", set up your own mail software to
> add this to the mail that gets delivered to you.

Easy to do on a UNIX box with procmail; I do it all the time for other
lists. But how do I do this with GMail which is what I use for reading "lyx
users"? Their label scheme isn't as useful as Subject: line tags like [LyX].

>  Many other mailing lists do this. There should be no need for the
>> subscribers to have to filter.
>

> And many other mailing lists don't mess with the subject. There should be
> no need for users to suffer the messed-up headers.
> Nobody _has_ to filter. If they want the mail in a single folder,
> they can have that. Those of us who subscribe to several lists with some
> volume, usually set up filtering to avoid a huge mess. And it'd be a huge
> mess even if the subject fields were abused.
>
> This list was created without subject manipulation, please just respect
> that. I subscribe to some lists that do mangle the subject. I don't like it,
> but I don't request a change. It is the list maintainter's choice to make.

Then you'd hate that on my Linux workstation I mung the headers of *all*
incoming mail from lists to set a Reply-to back to the list, which is what I
believe how *all* lists should be set up in the first place.Plus munging in
Subject: line tag. Once those messages are on my machine they are mine and
I'll do what ever I like to them. I don't care what or how the list owner
set it up on my Linux machines I'll force all those message to be the way I
expect them to be.

If only GMail were as flexible so the headers of messages to this list could
be munged with an explicit Reply-to: header.

Regards, Trevor.

<>< Re: deemed!