On Monday 28 September 2009 11:02:11 Kenward Vaughan wrote:
> Well, part of the problem stemmed from my belief that the powerdot
> documentation was to be taken literally. They make a statement about
> putting the above into the options, which I obediently did.  Once I
> remove them, the presentation comes up "normally."
>
> Unfortunately this depends on what creates the pdf file (which is my
> ultimate goal, of course).
>
> dvipdfm - looks good as screen mode, but overlays show through as grey
> which I don't want. Xpdf is the same.
>
> pdflatex - this NEVER works.  It dies in compilation with errors.
>
> ps2pdf - the greyed overlays are gone (totally hidden--good!), but the
> orientation is bad.  It's placed on letter-portrait.
>
> If I add "orient=portrait" then I can see it all with dvipdfm but the
> greyed out material persists.  Links (contents) don't work.   ps2pdf
> works fine and all is seen.
>
> I have yet to find a combo (variations of letter=/orient=) which works
> the way I thought things would go to produce a full screen version,
> except plain portrait mode.  ps2pdf is the only converter which properly
> creates a presentation with overlays completely out of sight.
>
> I'm glad to get the portrait version, but it would be nice to get a
> "normal" slide as well.
>
> I don't know where the problem is except that perhaps the way things get
> translated from LyX to LaTeX to the pdf files gets messed up from
> whatever standard powerdot needs to create a normal result.

Kenward,

Firstly, check that your LaTeX installation meets the requirements specified in
the Powerdot documentation (page 26).

The ps2pdf conversion is the only one which will work properly with Powerdot.

I have numerous presentations which work properly with the following options:

nopsheader,style=horatio,display=slides,paper=screen

These are set in Document Class (under Document Settings) as a string in
Custom, under Class Options. The style can be any of the other Powerdot
styles. Everything else in Document Settings I leave at whatever  is the
default, except for the Preamble. Here I fill in the PDF options using
\pdsetup.

Les Denham