Hi Daniel,

If there is already a LaTeX class and style, then you only need to
create .layout file that points LyX in the right direction.  A few weeks
ago, I wrote a simple example that you can find at:

http://www.oak-tree.us/blog/index.php/2009/11/02/custom-lyx-nih

That example is mostly about changing how the document appear and
modifying the section labels.  Additionally, you might want to look at
this article, which talks about creating a local layout file in a
document template.  Creating global layout files is kind of, sort of the
same.  (I haven't yet done anything with modules, but I assume that the
same principles apply.)

http://www.oak-tree.us/blog/index.php/2009/11/14/customize-lyx-character-styles

If you need examples of layout modules with advanced features, I'd
recommend looking at the Sweave example on the LyX website.  While it is
much more complicated than the examples above, I've found it invaluable
for understanding LyX's internal mechanisms: