Dear LyX users,

I have recently started getting a strange error when I try to export a
LyX file to plain LaTeX via File - Export - LaTeX (plain).

When I attempt to export, an error message appears reading
LyX: Cannot convert file
No information for converting pdf format files to eps
Define a converter in the preferences

As one might expect, I have only seen this error occur when the
document includes a pdf file as a graphic. However, the error seems
strange since I am not trying to convert anything to eps, just create
LaTeX code. Despite the error message, the LaTeX file actually is
created and seems to be correct. However, it (a) is annoying and (b)
leads me to think something else may be wrong, so I would like to fix
it.

First of all, does anyone have any insight into why LyX would ask for
a PDF -> EPS converter when the requested conversion is not to eps?

Second, does anyone know what I should do to fix this problem? I
currently have two converters defined:
PDF (pdflatex) to EPS: pdftops -eps $$i $$o
PDF (ps2pdf) to EPS: pdf2ps $$i $$o

Minimal working (and non-working) examples below.

Other possibly relevant bits of information: I use LyX 1.6.4 on
Windows XP SP3, with MikTeX 2.8 (complete version); the file is
exported to pdf via pdflatex without any problems; this error started
some time (but not immediately) after I began using the -epstopdf-
package, however the error occurs with documents that do not include
this package nor include any eps files.

Many thanks.

-- lyx file that exports fine to both pdf and plain latex --
-- does not include a pdf graphic --
#LyX 1.6.4 created this file. For more info see http://www.lyx.org/
\lyxformat 345
\begin_document
\begin_header
\textclass article
\use_default_options true
\language english
\inputencoding auto
\font_roman default
\font_sans default
\font_typewriter default
\font_default_family default
\font_sc false
\font_osf false
\font_sf_scale 100
\font_tt_scale 100

\graphics default
\paperfontsize default
\spacing single
\use_hyperref false
\papersize default
\use_geometry false
\use_amsmath 1
\use_esint 1
\cite_engine basic
\use_bibtopic false
\paperorientation portrait
\secnumdepth 3
\tocdepth 3
\paragraph_separation indent
\defskip medskip
\quotes_language english
\papercolumns 1
\papersides 1
\paperpagestyle default
\tracking_changes false
\output_changes false
\author ""
\author ""
\end_header

\begin_body

\begin_layout Standard
Hello world.
\end_layout

\end_body
\end_document

-- latex file created by the above lyx file
%% LyX 1.6.4 created this file.  For more info, see http://www.lyx.org/.
%% Do not edit unless you really know what you are doing.
\documentclass[english]{article}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[latin9]{inputenc}
\usepackage{babel}

\begin{document}
Hello world.
\end{document}

-- lyx file that exports fine to pdf but gives error message when
exporting to latex --
-- includes ability_levels_solution.pdf as a graphic (this is just a
file I have laying around, I don't think the particular PDF used
matters --
[...]

\begin_inset Graphics
        filename ability_levels_solution.pdf

\end_inset

\end_layout

\end_body
\end_document

--- latex file created by the above lyx file (despite error message,
latex file created) ---
%% LyX 1.6.4 created this file.  For more info, see http://www.lyx.org/.
%% Do not edit unless you really know what you are doing.
\documentclass[english]{article}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[latin9]{inputenc}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{babel}

\begin{document}
Hello world.

\includegraphics{ability_levels_solution}
\end{document}