well, because what I'm writing is a dynamic document (with literate
programming); I have some code in the Lyx document which can produce
PDF graphs with fixed names, and I can choose to run the code or not
to run. In order to save time, I choose not to reproduce the figures
(i.e. not to run the code), but just insert static figures there whose
file names are the same as what the figures produced by my code.
However, other uses might want to modify my code and compile the whole
document again. In this case, I hope the file names can be kept the
same so that LaTeX can receive new figures produced by the code.

Regards,
Yihui