Am 10.01.2010 03:36, schrieb Manoj Rajagopalan:

   When I begin a numbered-formula or a displayed formula, whenever my equation
includes at least one operator, pressing Ctrl-Enter creates a new row with 3
columns. The operator splits the 'tokens' forming the equation into 3 columns
so that operators in various rows are neatly aligned vertically.

    How does one turn this behavior off?

This cannot be turned off. Ctrl+Return creates a multi-line equation. This is an array like a table without lines. The operator is going to be in the second column.

The above feature is useful only if
all equations in one array are 'balanced' with all LHS being roughly the same
size and I don't find this to be the common case for my work :-(

You don't need to fill all "blue boxes" of the equation. The typesetting of unbalanced equations is explained in sec. 18 "Multiline Formulas" of the Math manual that you find in LyX's Help menu.

regards Uwe